Saturday, May 9, 2009

My New Niece

My sister Devan had her first baby on May 6th - a beautiful little girl.  

She had the baby in hospital, and delivered under her own power with no drugs, no epidural.  Labour began spontaneously.  Way to go Devan!  She laboured in a jacuzzi tub, walked, and was able to utilize natural positions like squatting, standing, all fours, and pulling on a rope.  The baby was immediately put skin to skin.  

Did I mention all that in a hospital?  This particular place even uses cloth diapers instead of disposables.  And baby "roomed in" for the entire stay....no nursery visits and wasn't even taken away for a bath.  If only every woman who delivers in hospital could have an experience like that.

Here's a picture:  

   



Avery Jane Mitchell
2:33pm, Wednesday, May 6th, 2009
8 lbs 4 oz

Avery Jane has always been one of my favourite girls names. Alas, I have boys, so I named my first born son Abhainn (Ay-vin). Now there are four cousins, three with 'A' names! Abhainn (2 1/2), Abigail (20 months), Fearghus (3months), and new Avery.

5 comments:

West Coast Mama said...

She is very cute! I can't believe she had such a natural birth in a hospital. What hospital is this? I too love the name Avery, it's actually been on my girls name list for a while now.

Lindsay said...

She's beautiful! Congratulations to your sister. That's amazing about the hospital. I've heard that when the hospital up in North Saanich was doing maternity care they were very progressive like that too. Too bad they closed.

Kyre said...

Natalie- No kidding! She delivered at St. Pauls in Vancouver.

Lindsay- What hospital are you talking about? I had no idea that there was ever a hospital in NS.

Lindsay said...

It's still there, but the maternity part closed. I can't remember what it's called, it's up near the airport though. I think Heather or Kim, or maybe Eva, told me it used to be a really progressive maternity ward with water births and stuff.

Lindsay said...

Okay I just went and checked, and it's the Saanich Peninsula Hospital.